PHILADELPHIA – The Philadelphia University men's tennis team saw its three-match winning streak come to an end with a 6-3 Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) loss to the University of the Sciences Wednesday afternoon on the McNeil Family Courts.
The Rams (6-5, 1-1 CACC) won two of the three tightly contested doubles matches to take a lead going into singles play.
Philadelphia's top tandem of Luis Molina Megias (Gran Canaria, Spain/Atlantic School Garoe) and Oskar Haedicke (Iserlohn, Germany/Gymnasium An der Stenner Iserlohn) won its straight match after edging out Jake Sosonkin and Nathan Nguyen 9-8 (8-6). Joseph Sison (Yardley, Pa./Notre Dame) and Liviu Trifoi (Wyomissing, Pa./Wyomissing) also went to a tiebreak to defeat Borna Novak and Tajay McLeod 9-8 (7-5) at No. 2 to extend their winning streak to three.
The Devils' No. 3 team of Chandat Phan and Sahas Chandragiri squeaked past the Rams' Sean DeBlasio (Livingston, Texas/Livingston) and Jacobo Atri (Mexico City, Mexico/Colegio Hebreo Monte Sinai, AC) 9-8 (7-2) to get USciences (9-7, 2-1 CACC) on the board.
Sison overcame a one-set defeat against Chandragiri to win his match at No. 5 singles and pick up Philadelphia's final point. After falling behind with a 6-4 set one loss, Sison bounced back to win set two 6-4 and went on to claim the tiebreak by a 10-6 score. He is now 6-3 overall after winning his third match in a row.
Haedicke saw his nine-match winning streak snapped with a three-set loss to Nguyen in the No. 2 flight. Haedicke came out strong and took the opening set 6-3. Nguyen responded by winning the next two sets 7-5 and 6-4.
Philadelphia welcomes Bloomfield to the Abraham Salaman Tennis Courts for a CACC match on Saturday, April 8 at noon.
USCIENCES 6, PHILADELPHIA U. 3
1. Jake Sosonkin (USCI) def. Luis Molina Megias (PHI) 6-3, 6-3
2. Nathan Nguyen (USCI) def. Oskar Haedicke (PHI) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
3. Borna Novak (USCI) def. Liviu Trifoi (PHI) 6-2, 6-1
4. Rakesh Chamala (USCI) def. Jacobo Atri (PHI) 6-3, 6-3
5. Joseph Sison (PHI) def. Sahas Chandragiri 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Chandat Phan (USCI) def. Juan Velosa (PHI) 6-0, 6-3
1. Molina Megias/Haedicke (PHI) def. Sosonkin/Nguyen (USCI) 9-8 (8-6)
2. Trifoi/Sison (PHI) def. Novak/Tajay McLeod (USCI) 9-8 (7-5)
3. Phan/Chandragiri (USCI) def. Sean DeBlasio/Jacobo Atri (PHI) 9-8 (7-2)
Philadelphia U. 6-5, 1-1 CACC
USciences 9-7, 2-1 CACC