MIDDLEBURY, Conn. – The Philadelphia University men's tennis team concluded Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) play with a 6-3 loss to Post University Saturday afternoon at the Edgewood Bath & Tennis Center.
Philadelphia is now 8-7 overall and finished its conference schedule with a 2-3 record. Despite the loss to the Eagles, Philadelphia will be the number four seed for the CACC Tournament, which is set to get underway on Saturday, April 22 at Chestnut Hill College.
Liviu Trifoi (Wyomissing, Pa./Wyomissing) and Joseph Sison (Yardley, Pa./Notre Dame) got the match started with an 8-2 victory at No. 3 doubles over Post's Joe Alvord and Steve Woodfield. The tandem is now 7-2 this season after winning in its first No. 3 match of the season.
Post (10-8, 4-1 CACC) claimed the other two doubles matches to lead 2-1 at the end of doubles play.
Juan Velosa (Bogota, Columbia/Gimnasio Campestre San Rafael) tied the match up at two as he kicked off singles play by defeating Cole Nelson 6-3, 6-3 in the No. 6 flight. Velosa improved to 6-3 overall, 2-3 at No. 6.
After the Eagles went back in front with wins at Nos. 1 and 3, Oskar Haedicke (Iserlohn, Germany/Gymnasium An der Stenner Iserlohn) pulled the Rams within 4-3, picking up a 6-4, 6-2 triumph at No. 2 against Ludvig Henrikson. Haedicke now has a team-high 12 victories, 10 at No. 2.
The Eagles went on to earn wins at Nos. 5 and 4 to win the match.
Philadelphia travels to Kutztown University for a non-conference match on Monday, April 17 at 2 p.m.
POST 6, PHILADELPHIA U. 3
1. Nikola Crvelin (POST) def. Luis Molina Megias (PHI) 6-1, 6-2
2. Oskar Haedicke (PHI) def. Ludvig Henrickson (POST) 6-4, 6-2
3. Samuel Urban (POST) def. Liviu Trifoi (PHI) 6-2, 6-2
4. Peter Rossel (POST) def. Jacobo Atri (PHI) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
5. Joe Alvord (POST) def. Joseph Sison (PHI) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Juan Velosa (PHI) def. Cole Nelson (POST) 6-3, 6-3
1. Crvelin/Henrikson (POST) def. Molina Megias/Haedicke (PHI) 8-2
2. Rossel/Urban (POST) def. Sean DeBlasio/Atri (PHI) 8-5
3. Trifoi/Sison (PHI) def. Alvord/Steve Woodfield (POST) 8-2
Philadelphia U. 8-7, 2-3 CACC
Post 10-8, 4-1 CACC