PHILADELPHIA – The Philadelphia University women's tennis suffered a 5-4 Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) match at the University of the Sciences in a match that started on Wednesday afternoon and finished on Thursday afternoon.
In the Wednesday portion of the match, USciences (4-1, 2-0 CACC) was up 4-3.
The Rams (2-3, 0-2 CACC) claimed a 2-1 advantage in doubles play.
Philadelphia's No. 3 tandem of Emily Zygmunt (Yardley, Pa./Pennsbury) and Katelyn High (Lancaster, Pa./Lampeter-Strasburg) improved to a team-best 4-1 as they defeated Jillyan Serrano and Gabrielle Soriano, 8-4. In the No. 1 flight, Jala Hamada (Giza, Egypt/Dar El-Tarbia, IGCSE) and Linde Zwaan (Apeldoorn, Netherlands/Gymnasium Apeldoorn) picked up their second win of the year with an 8-6 victory against Karla Miletic and Elkanah Linder.
Before the sun went down, USciences fought back to win three of the four singles matches that were completed to move in front. The Rams' singles victory came at No. 2 as Zwaan rallied from a set down to defeat Linder 0-6, 6-1, 6-1. USciences earned wins at Nos. 1, 3, and 4.
The match resumed on Thursday afternoon as the No. 5 and No. 6 matches were played to completion. Soriano clinched the match for the Devils as she defeated High in the No. 6 flight, 6-1, 6-4.
Zygmunt moved to record to 3-2 as she was a three-set winner over Serrano 3-6, 6-4, 6-3.
After playing its first five matches on the road, Philadelphia will host its first home match of the season on Saturday, Sept. 17 against Daemen at noon.
USCIENCES 5, PHILADELPHIA U. 4
1. Karla Miletic (USCI) def. Jala Hamada (PHI) 6-4, 6-2
2. Linde Zwaan (PHI) def. Elkanah Linder (USCI) 1-6, 6-0, 6-0
3. Abby Gamarnik (USCI) def. Usha Baublitz (PHI) 6-0, 3-6, 6-1
4. Julia James (USCI) def. Mariana Sampaio (PHI) 6-3, 6-3
5. Emily Zygmunt (PHI) def. Jillyan Serrano (USCI) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Gabbie Soriano (USCI) def. Katelyn High (PHI) 6-1, 6-4
1. Hamada/Zwaan (PHI) def. Miletic/Linder (USCI) 8-6
2. Gamarnik/James (USCI) def. Baublitz/Sampaio (PHI) 8-3
3. Zygmunt/High (PHI) def. Soriano/Serrano (USCI) 8-4